Monday, March 31, 2014

Months 5 through 9


My first ABC post was such a hit so here is an encore post for months six, seven, eight, and nine!!  My PCV friends Popi & Steph also followed suit~ be sure to read their posts as well!!

Auburn (this Bulldawgs’ biggest school rival) has moved in down the road~ one of the new PCVs is an alumni and made a big fuss about Auburn beating Georgia.  Since January, all I have to do is tomahawk chop :-] We’re looking forward to November 15th, 2014 when Georgia & Auburn face of again.

Bracelets to celebrate each month lived in country were made for me by Big Momma Fatou & her daughter Haddie.  These ladies are talented, kind, and, oh yeah, international celebrities! Check out their story on Holiday Hijack.  The women in village and I like to joke that the bracelets will one day reach my elbow!

Checking in & checking out of books is going quite smoothly at MFLBS!  My teachers are rockstars and are taking the lead in utilizing the library!  We recently received ten full boxes from Books for Africa nearly doubling our inventory. 

Dega na Wolof” has become my favorite phrase…it means “you hear Wolof.” Slowly, slowly I am able to communicate more effectively with the people of The Gambia with ease and confidence. It’s nice to not feel like a toddler just saying random words in hopes to convey what I mean.  I still have a ways to go but I am enjoying getting this far.  Want to learn Wolof?  Try this website!

Eating “hut-made” popcorn has become one of my favorite snacks and activities.  I won’t be going back to microwave popcorn post-Peace Corps.  I enjoy sprinkling salt, milk powder, and Tandoori Masala (coriander, paprika, cumin, salt, chili powder, garlic, cinnamon) seasoning on top~ delicious!!

Fuukajay fun…imagine a roadside Goodwill clothing department or a clothes only yard sale and you have a fuukajay. I have found some real gems while fuukajaying including this shirt that at first thought I just had to have but decided against it upon further inspection.

Giardia was my latest medical ailment during November…gross!!   

Halloween party in Basse was a hit! We enjoyed a bonfire, cooked an amazing butternut squash soup (adapted from this recipe), danced the night away, made costumes out of fuukajay clothes, and ate all sorts of American candy. I gathered six others and we went as Scrabble tiles!  


IX (nine) more books read: Down Under by Bill Bryson, A Book of Bees by Sue Hubbell, Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson, When a Crocodile Eats The Sun by Peter Godwin, Pride and Prejudice Jane Austen, Crossing the Heart of Africa by Julian Smith, When Things Fall Apart by Pema Chodron, I am in the middle of The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver, and my host sister and I just started Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. 

Journey of my Peace Corps service is 1/3 complete!  I am striving to make the most of each day as time is flying by!  Several Peace Corps Volunteers that have become close friends and sources of inspiration are approaching their Close of Service and will be moving on.  It is bittersweet to see them go but exciting to welcome in the new Peace Corps Trainees.  I am looking forward to building strong relationships with them and showing them the ropes.  I’m also soaking up as much of The Gambia that I can and enjoyed exploring Banjul recently.

Keeping myself hydrated and well rested is one of my top priorities.  The temperature here stays in the hundreds all day.  I am looking forward to the rains to come in June and cool everything off!!

Letter writing is taking place between my 5th grade students and a 4th grade class in Longmont, Colorado.  We cannot wait to hear back from each other! If your class would like to participate in a pen pal program with a Peace Corps Volunteer check out World Wise School.

Making my grand debut in the Peace Corps-The Gambia February/March newsletter was quite a thrill! In the Education newsletter, Borrow Me Your This Thing, I used my recent post regarding my experience thus far with the library.  The Gender and Development newsletter featured an interview between me and a fellow Education PCV (who happens to be my birthday buddy) about our mishaps with and views on love.

Nelson Mandela’ passing was quite sobering. One of my teachers, Musa Bah, recalled a time when he taught his students about Mister Mandela in preparation to perform a song for him during a visit to The Gambia.  Mister Mandela was truly an inspiration.  Can you imagine being put in prison for no good reason and having no anger?  He reminds me of Joseph in the Bible.  Positivity, patience, and perseverance pays off. 

Oh Hello’s are my gelligelli traveling listening music of choice.

Plaiting, or hair braiding, is a favorite activity between the village women and myself.  My friends are super talented and can design whatever my imagination comes up with.  A latest creation is below~ we decided to call it rattlesnake! Can you believe it is only one braid?!  Undoing the braids is always a fun reveal!  I’ve always wondered what my hair would look like with a perm…

Quietest baby in the world is my newborn host sister Yassin. She was born on my birthday so I like to joke that we are twins.   

Ram sacrifice for Tobaski was intense! Tobaski is the Muslim holiday commemorating when the Lord provided a ram for Abraham in lieu of him sacrificing his son (for Muslims it was Ishmael, for Christians it was Isaac). My fellow PCV, Jaci, eloquently describes this holiday.

Sub sandwich from Publix (ham, salami, and American cheese on wheat with lettuce, pickles, green peppers, cucumbers and mayonnaise, mustard, oil & vinegar) is the “American meal” I miss most.  


Teething, talking, and pulling up to walk is in full force for my baby brother Samba.  His two top teeth and two bottom teeth have come in recently and several more are on the way. His grin sure is goofy these days!  “Awa Wellan” was his first word.  This little boy has stolen my heart and it is a blessing to watch him grow up.

Under the stars my family eats dinner, brews attaya (Chinese green tea), and chats about the day.  I like to ask the kids how many stars are in the sky and attempting to count them together. One night I taught my family about constellations by pointing out Orion and Ursa Major (the Big Dipper).  Their minds were blown!  We try to find a new constellation each week.

Visiting the States for two weeks in April!! Already planning out my meals…7 of them are found in the Atlanta Airport so I might take my time getting to baggage claim!

Watermelon is in season here September to December~ it’s been delicious!  I ate watermelon on Thanksgiving Day!

Xmas extravaganza!! I celebrated Christmas in Kombo with many of my fellow Peace Corps Volunteers. It was quite a cheery time as we incorporated everyone’s favorite holiday traditions. 

Yoga retreat in Bwiam was a restful, relaxing, and reenergizing experience.  There were sessions of all kinds: partner yoga, lunar yoga, strength training yoga, walking meditation, mandala drawing, and water yoga. 

Za, or pizza for all you nonScrabblers, at Maya’s Restaurant in Kombo is delicious!! Surprisingly, chicken and corn with mayonnaise drizzled on top goes well on pizza.



2 comments:

  1. PLEASE CALL ME WHEN YOU ARE IN THE STATES! I cannot wait to hear your voice <3 I miss you a TON!

    Also, you and Quietest Baby must be fraternal twins ;)

    Love you <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure thing, Master Miller :-] Missing you as well!! And yes, the noise level is definitely our biggest difference!

    ReplyDelete