Thursday, December 24, 2009

Helping Out In Husbandry


This past month has provided many hands on opportunities in helping out with husbandry at the GSTC. I thoroughly enjoy helping out as I learn so much while doing so!

On December 19th, I helped Steven as he removed medihoney from the boat strike wound along the spine of Emma and administered her dry-vacuum therapy. Her name is short for Emerald as she is a green sea turtle. Green sea turtles are vegetarians and their fat is dyed green from all the chlorophyll they consume.

On December 16th, I assisted with getting Talbot ready for his potential release. Talbot was given a satellite transmitter, flipper tags, and a pit tag. I was thankful there were several helpful hands as I administered my first pit tag (it is quite an intimidating first-time task). Talbot is a sub-adult male loggerhead sea turtle that had marine debris wrapped around his flippers causing a loss in circulation. We had to amputate about four inches of his right flipper.

On December 10th, I helped Jessica with Griffin's weight-belt therapy. Griffin has experienced an event similar to a human stroke therefore forgetting how to be a sea turtle. His weight-belt, which was fashioned by Georgia Tech (and is coincidently yellow and black), helps neutralize his buoyancy. This allows Griffin to more easily be able to dive and stay submerged.

I love my job!!

No comments:

Post a Comment