Saturday, May 1, 2010

I made a paper plate diamondback terrapin with one of my childhood heroines today :-]

When she walked into the rehab pavilion with her two sons I automatically felt like I knew her from somewhere. We began conversing about the patients, why they were at the GSTC and how they were doing. Turtle Tales, a program in which we read a story about turtles and then make a turtle craft, was about to start in fifteen minutes and I invited them to join. While gathering a few last minute materials, I quickly Googled her to confirm my hunch. Ah! It was her! "Stay cool, Melissa, stay cool" I quietly repeated to myself.

After reading A Day in the Salt Marsh by Kevin Kurtz, the four of us began making our paper plate diamondback terrapins. Her son mentioned that he loved the University of Georgia to which a hearty "Go Dawgs" and high five was given. He thought it was super cool that I had gone there for college and marched with the Red Coat Marching Band. His mom quickly chimed in for the Crimson Tide, explaining that she had to stick to her Alabama roots and gently reminding us both who currently held the National Champion title.

Curiosity was overtaking me and I just had to know for certain...

Nervously I asked, "Would your name happen to be Heather?"
"Why yes, it is" she graciously replied.
"Would your maiden name happen to be Whitestone?"
With a big smile she confirmed, "Yes, My name is Heather Whitestone McCallum"
"It is such an honor to meet you! I remember when you winning Miss America 1995 when I was just a little girl. It was so inspiring and encouraging."
"Why thank you! It is a pleasure to meet you as well, Melissa!"

Ah! I just could not believe myself. I remember as a young ballerina, just starting to fall in love with Jesus, how her talent portion of the pageant, a ballet routine to Sandi Patty's "Via Dolorosa," clearly and beautifully painted a picture of the Gospel. Watching it still gives me chills.

Learn more about this wonderful woman at www.heatherwhitestone.com. I am looking forward to reading her books Let God Surprise You: Trust God with Your Dreams and Believing the Promise: Daily Devotions for Following Your Dreams.

Meeting her, along with her sons, was truly a dream of mine come true :-]


No comments:

Post a Comment